Photo of the day 05.08 – Hemsedal
One of the first tourists in Hemsedal was the Norwegian polar explorer Fritjof Nansen, who visited in 1898 and stayed at the Bjøberg Fjellstue. Today Hemsedal is a popular destination, with Hemsedal Ski Centre the main attraction. About 70% of all visitors come in the winter season (December–May) and most of the remaining 30% in the summer months. The main countries of origin of tourists are Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Russia, the Netherlands and the UK.
Hemsedal, Norway, mountains, landscape
Photo source: wallpaperup
The ski centres in Hemsedal and Grøndalen were bought in 2000 by the Swedish company Sälenstjärnen, which changed its name the following year to Skistar. Skistar also owns Trysil Ski Centre, Sälen and Åre, Vemedalen and Hammarbybacken in Sweden. Hemsedal’s cross-country stadium is located at Gravset and is the starting point for a large network of trails to Lykkja and Gol, including 10 km (6.21 mi) of lighted trails.